Downers Grove, Illinois
2013 was a strong year for economic development in Downers Grove, and 2014 is shaping up to be even better. In addition to many new business projects, Downers Grove was the recipient of two national awards.
Premier Location for Corporate Headquarters
Downers Grove continues to be a premier location for corporate and division headquarters. Advocate Health Care, the largest private sector employer in the Chicago area, recently moved its corporate headquarters to Highland Landmark in Downers Grove. Additionally, HAVI Global Solutions opened their new headquarters at Esplanade II in Downers Grove.
Other recent corporate office projects includes:
- Grundfos – opened its new North American headquarters at Esplanade at Locust Point. Based in Denmark, Grundfos is the world’s largest manufacturer of water pumps.
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy – (ASGE) built a new headquarters and training center at Esplanade.
- Addus Health Care – one of the nation’s largest provider of home health care services, has also recently moved their corporate headquarters to Downers Grove.
- State Farm – expanded their operations in Downers Grove, and now has more than 600 employees at their regional office on Opus Drive.
New Commercial Projects
There has been a lot of good news recently on Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove:
- Shorewood Development will soon break ground on a new project that will feature a Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.
- GMX Real Estate is building a new McDonald’s at the corner of Ogden and Cross.
- Angelo Caputo’s Fresh Market will soon open a new 72,000 sq. ft. grocery store in place of a closed Dominick’s location.
- We welcome two new upscale car dealers to Ogden Avenue: Napleton Aston Martin and Lamborghini of Downers Grove.
- Art Van Furniture has purchased the former Home Depot Expo Center, and will remodel the building for a new furniture store.
- Other new tenants on Butterfield Road include Barbakoa, a Latin-themed restaurant developed by Chicago restaurateur Jerry Kleiner.
There have been several new businesses that opened on 75th Street, including:
- A new Shop & Save Market that anchors Downers Park Plaza.
- Ray O’Herron Co., which moved its suburban center to Downers Grove. Ray O’Herron is one of the largest suppliers of law enforcement equipment in the state.
No report on Downers Grove could be complete without mentioning Midwestern University – an economic engines in our community. Midwestern University has opened their new 193,000 sq. ft. Multispecialty Clinic, which features their state-of-the-art Dental Institute. The Multispecialty Clinic offers a wide range of health care services to the community. The $113 million project is located on their new Esplanade campus on Lacey Road.
Our community is fortunate to have a diverse local economy that includes several large Class A office parks and shopping centers, and two business parks” said Michael Cassa, President & CEO, Downers Grove Economic Development Corporation. “In addition, we have seven hotels and a vibrant downtown that features many shops and restaurants.
An Award Winning Community
Forbes Magazine recently named Downers Grove as one of “America’s Friendliest Towns.” According to Forbes, Downers Grove is the 8th friendliest town in the United States. Downers Grove was the only community in Illinois to be recognized in the survey.
Many in the community remark upon the importance of our efforts to keep Downers Grove a great place to live, learn, work and play” said Mayor Martin Tully. “The honor of being recognized as one of the nations ‘friendliest towns’ demonstrates that those efforts not only are essential, but have been very successful.
Earlier this month, Livability.com, a national website that ranks quality of life and travel amenities, named Downers Grove as one of the Top 10 Best Cities for Kids in the United States. In fact, Downers Grove finished second only to Boise, Idaho. Fox 32 TV featured the story on their Good Day program, and interviewed Mayor Tully about the designation.